The Northern Virginia Homeschool Athletic Association (NVHAA) is an all-volunteer legally incorporated 501(c) (3) non-profit organization. Established in February 2015, NVHAA provides the organizational, financial, legal, logistical, and administrative support needed for the operation of numerous high school homeschool sports teams. NVHAA’s daily operations, policies, and procedures are overseen by a Board of Director’s who ensure that the teams and all volunteers abide by the NVHAA Articles of Incorporation and Bylaws, as well as the Centurions policies and procedures.
Purpose and Vision:
The NVHAA Centurions was established to provide middle and high school young men and women (ages 12-18) who are either homeschooled or otherwise do not have the opportunity, the chance to play competitive high school sports in a Christian environment. The NVHAA is a Christ-centered organization that seeks to glorify God (Colossians 3:23) and strengthen the participants Christian values in the context of learning and playing high school sports.
Participation in the program will provide a format for life, teaching young men and women:
- To run hard after Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2)
- Competing to win without compromising their Christian values, (1 Corinthians 9:24)
- Achievement without an attitude of winning at all costs (1 Corinthians 9:25-27)
- Self-discipline (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Perseverance (Philippians 3:13-14)
- Teamwork (Ecclesiastes 4:9-12)
- A high level of accountability (Colossians 3:22-24)
The NVHAA Centurions are:
- A Christian-led, homeschool, high school sports organization that serves the Lord first.
- Sports teams which attempt to play within their strength band and engages in competitive sports.
- Sports teams that incorporate homeschool parents in the leadership of the team and board of directors.
- Sports teams that seek out a growing network of college scouts and resources.
- Sports teams that travel to National Homeschool sports tournaments whenever possible i.e. Florida every November to play in the National Homeschool Football tournament.
NVHAA Statement of Faith*
- We believe that there is only one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Matthew 28:19)
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, infallible, and authoritative Word of God. (2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His atoning death on the cross and bodily resurrection, in His ascension into Heaven to the right hand of the Father, in His present ministry of intercession for us, and in His return. (Deity-John 1:1) (Atonement-Hebrews 9:15-22) (Virgin Birth-Matthew 1:18, 25) (Bodily Resurrection-1 Corinthians 15:1-8) (Sinless Life-Hebrews 4:15) (Personal Return-Hebrews 9:27-28)
- We believe that by grace we are saved through faith in the acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, and this salvation is the gift of God. (John 3:16;John 5:24; Titus 3:3-7)
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life. (John 14:15-26; John 16:5-16; Ephesians 1:13,14)
- We believe that man was created in the image of God, but because of sin, was alienated from God. We believe that Jesus Christ paid the penalty of the sin of mankind of dying on the cross.
- We believe in the forgiveness of sins.
- We believe in the coming judgment and that those who believe in Jesus will spend eternity in heaven.
- We believe God created us male and female and that marriage constitutes the union between one man and one woman.
*The Fellowship for Christian Athletes Statement of Faith was used as a guideline.(http://www.fca.org/quick-links/ministry-leader-application/)