Excellent speed, agility, and endurance conditioning opportunity for off-season athletes! Track team runners will have the opportunity to participate in individual and team races and relays, run hurdles, and work on improvement in overall speed and endurance.
- Who is Eligible: Young homeschooled men and women, ages 12-18 yrs, no experience required.
- When: Conditioning starts the first week in March and is held two days a week, Mon & Thurs, 4-5:30 pm. Season is April-May, with practices three times a week, Mon, Tues, Thurs, 4-6 pm. It is expected that runners will attend all conditioning and practice days. However, NVHAA understands there may be schedule conflicts which the coach will evaluate on a case-by-case basis.
- Where: Conditioning and practices will be on the Track behind Manassas Baptist Church, 8730 Sudley Rd, Manassas, VA.
- First Conditioning Practice in March will be a Parent Meeting, Registration, and Time Trails
- Cost: 2017: $200, plus a one-time annual $50 NVHAA Registration Fee. Cost includes issue of a uniform for the season, insurance, facility rental fees, medical and administrative costs, equipment purchase/maintenance, etc. Forms and NVHAA registration fee of $50 can be mailed to the team manager and are due NLT than the first conditioning practice. Forms can be found at registration forms.
- Players will need to purchase their own running shoes.
- Contact the head coach for more details and to be added to the email roster.
Melissa is a USAFT Certified Track and Field Coach and wife to Mark, a 30 year Air Force veteran, and mother to two teenagers who are growing up too fast! As a military spouse Melissa served as a volunteer with various military spouse clubs, with churches her family attended, and in her children’s elementary schools. Currently, she homeschools her daughter, volunteers as the Girl’s Ministry Director at Chapel Springs Church and helps lead a class for high school girls on Sunday mornings. Melissa’s love of running was birthed when she ran the 1600 relay and the 800 in high school. An avid runner to this day, she regularly runs in 5k, 10k, and half-marathon races. While there are a number of running references in the bible, one of Melissa’s favorites is 1 Corinthians 9:24-25, “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way as to take the prize. Everyone who competes in the games trains with strict discipline. They do it for a crown that is perishable, but we do it for a crown that is imperishable”.
Melissa’s goal for the NVHAA track program is to empower middle and high schoolers to be their best self for God by promoting physical activity, healthy choices, and most importantly, spiritual growth. The perseverance learned and endurance gained from running can benefit our young people today, and even for a lifetime.